The Memphis Grizzlies are the hottest team in the Western Conference and the second hottest team in the entire NBA behind the Miami Heat, who are the only squad to defeat them in their past 10 contests. On this night, it was the Orlando Magic's turn to suffer the wrath of the Grizzlies, as they lost 108-82 on Sunday night at the Amway Center.
Memphis (39-19) had six players notch double figures in scoring, led by Tayshaun Prince's 14-point effort and 13 points apiece from Mike Conley and Tony Allen. Marc Gasol had 12 points and 11 assists, while Quincy Pondexter also tallied 12 points and Ed Davis scored 10 points to go with 10 rebounds.
For the Magic (16-44), E'Twaun Moore registered 12 points and six assists, with Arron Afflalo and Andrew Nicholson each reaching the 12-point mark as well. Moe Harkless added 11 points and six rebounds, while Tobias Harris failed to reach double digits in points for the first time since joining Orlando, finishing with six points on 3 of 14 shooting, including 0 of 5 from behind the arc.
The Grizzlies outshot Orlando 44 of 83 (53%) to 29 of 73 (39.7%) from the field and 11 of 24 (45.8%) to 2 of 15 (13.3%) from 3-point range and they outrebounded the Magic 42-37 while holding a 48-42 edge on points in the paint. The visitors dished out 31 assists compared to 19 for Orlando and they converted 16 Magic turnovers into 23 points.
Leading 29-19 at the end of the first quarter, Memphis extended its advantage to 60-35 at halftime. The score was 82-57 after three periods.
"I thought they might have been keying in a little bit," Harris said. "But as a player that when you have to adapt to what the other team is doing. You just have to find a way out there."
Orlando travels to New Orleans on Monday at 8:00 pm on FS Florida.
- Be sure to "like" Magic 101 on Facebook and to follow Magic 101 on Twitter.
- Check back every day for news, rumors, previews, and recaps about YOUR Orlando Magic!
Related VideosReturning Soon!!!!
- Shorthanded Orlando Magic Fall to Memphis Grizzlies
- Game Previews: Memphis Grizzlies at Orlando Magic, Magic at New Orleans Hornets, Magic at Miami Heat
- Orlando Magic Take on Memphis Grizzlies and Cleveland Cavaliers
- Tobias Harris Impresses Again, but Isn’t Enough to Help Orlando Magic Defeat Houston Rockets
- Young Sacramento Kings Squad Demolishes Orlando Magic 125-101
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/qqk