Without their two leading scorers in Arron Afflalo (calf) and Glen Davis (broken left foot) for the entire game and their third leading scorer in Jameer Nelson (bruised left forearm) for the second half, the Orlando Magic were unable to end their second-longest losing streak of the season. The Magic dropped their eighth consecutive game when they were defeated by the Boston Celtics 97-84 at the TD Garden.
Boston (23-23) received a game-high 17 points from Jeff Green off the bench, while Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce and Courtney Lee had 14 points apiece; Garnett added 10 rebounds, and Pierce notched 11 rebounds and seven assists. Jason Terry and Leandro Barbosa tallied 12 points apiece.
J.J. Redick, who has averaged 20 points per game over the past four games, led Orlando (14-32) with 15 points, while Nikola Vucevic finished with 14 points and 14 rebounds and Andrew Nicholson registered 14 points and 10 boards. E'Twaun Moore also had 14 points, with Kyle O'Quinn adding 11.
The Celtics were 42 of 84 (50.0%) from the field compared to 36 of 95 (37.9%) for the Magic and made 4 of 18 (22.2%) shots from 3-point range compared to 3 of 19 (15.8%) for Orlando. Boston outrebounded the visitors 48-47 and held a 56-52 edge on points in the paint, while also dishing out 30 assists compared to 19 for the Magic.
Boston defeated Orlando 25-18 in the first quarter, 21-17 in the second frame, 26-24 in the third period, and both teams scored 25 points in the fourth.
"It's part of basketball and we'll continue to deal with it," Magic coach Jacque Vaughn said of his injury-stricken team. "It means other guys have to fill in and fill roles and we'll keep at it."
Orlando is at Milwaukee on Saturday at 8:30 pm on FS Florida.
- Be sure to "like" Magic 101 on Facebook and to follow Magic 101 on Twitter.
- Help Orlando Magic guard J.J. Redick make the 3-point shootout at NBA All-Star Weekend by signing the petition at redickforthree.com.
- Check back every day for news, rumors, previews, and recaps about YOUR Orlando Magic!
Related VideosReturning Soon!!!!
- Orlando Magic Lose Third Straight Close Game
- Orlando Magic Lose Ninth Straight Game
- Toronto Raptors Win Fifth Straight, Stop Orlando Magic’s Four-Game Win Streak
- Orlando Magic Win Second Straight Game
- Game Preview: Boston Celtics at Orlando Magic
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/pji