Trailing by 12 points at halftime and four at the end of the third quarter, the Orlando Magic dominated the Minnesota Timberwolves in the final frame to earn their third win in a row, defeating Minnesota 102-93 on Monday night at the Amway Center.
"It boiled down to who was going to be the aggressor, that team was going to win," Magic coach Jacque Vaughn said. "That was my message at halftime. It was good to see our bigs respond to that kind of physicality."
Orlando (11-13) snapped the Timberwolves' four-game win streak behind 28 points from Glen Davis and 18 points and seven assists from J.J. Redick. Nikola Vucevic notched his third consecutive double-double, finishing with 14 points and 11 rebounds, while Arron Afflalo added 13 points.
The Timberwolves (12-10) got 23 points and 15 rebounds from Kevin Love, while Nikola Pekovic had 19 points and 12 rebounds, Andrei Kirilenko recorded 13 points and six assists, Luke Ridnour scored 11 points, and Jose Barea and Dante Cunningham finished with 10 points each, with Barea adding six assists.
The Magic outshot Minnesota 44 of 82 (53.7%) to 39 of 96 (40.6%) from the field and 6 of 14 (42.9%) to 7 of 25 (28.0%) from behind the arc.
Minnesota led 29-27 at the end of the first quarter and 61-49 at intermission. Orlando cut the deficit to four by outscoring the Timberwolves 25-17 in the third quarter and won by nine points after winning the fourth period 28-15.
"I'm pleased with the improvements we've made individually and as a team," Vaughn said. "We're playing harder and that's fun to see. We're believing in each other, but we still know that we have a lot of work to do."
Orlando welcomes Washington to town on Wednesday at 7:00 pm on FS Florida.
- Be sure to "like" Magic 101 on Facebook and to follow Magic 101 on Twitter.
- Check back every day for news, rumors, previews, and recaps about YOUR Orlando Magic!
Related VideosReturning Soon!!!!
- Minnesota Timberwolves Hand Orlando Magic Second Straight Loss
- Orlando Magic Suffer Fourth Straight Defeat
- Orlando Magic Win Second Straight Game
- Chicago Bulls Defeat Orlando Magic 99-93
- Game Previews: Golden State Warriors at Orlando Magic, Magic at Charlotte Bobcats, Minnesota Timberwolves at Magic
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/o03